October 8, 2017

Singing

Today I'm going to talk about Opera and singing... At home, dad had a particular taste in music, classic and folclor so we grew up with weird combinations, I remember dad and I washing our car while we listen piano concerts, horn concerts, etc., and when we watched TV but mainly programs about classic music, opera and thing like that, and one of my favorites and the one that I remember from my childhood is this one, from a opera named "The Tales of Hoffman" and is known as the Doll song, because in the plot is a doll whose creator think about her as a real person and try to hide that is a doll... enjoy it.


I didn't want to be a singer, I sang at home and play with my sisters to sing like a band or a pop group, but I don't know why in middle school I sang a solo in front of my whole class, and some people congratulated me, when I started high school I had to take an Art class and I had heard that there was a choir and found the classroom and make an audition! Was weird because I had never sang that way, I had to repeat the sounds that I had listen before in a particular way, no just sing like you were home,  and the teacher play the scales up and up an up until you can barely reached it... and I made it... get into the choir... From that moment until I finished high school I went to music classess twice a week, learnt pieces in different languages (italian, english, german, french) and sang in front a lot of people in the school auditorium and in Sala Netzahualcoyotl in Ciudad Universitaria.
To be part of a choir is very interesting and also difficult, first of all a choir is organized by voices, high and low pitch for males and females, you have to be focus in your melodic line, be aware of the signs that the conductor make, slow/fast/low/soft/strong... when you have to sing, when you don't, the discipline because when the other voices are rehearsing you have to be quiet... When you rehearse with an orchestra you understand the difficulties of the musicians work, but for a singer is sometimes harder, because a instrument player have references in the instrument and for a singer the instrument is the body, the throat, the vocal cords, the lungs, the diaphragm, from heat to toes, but you have to learn how to work to produce the sounds required.
Being in a choir give me a lot of opportunities, to get to know a different kind of music, languages, people and a few of my classmates studied music as a major and now they work for different choirs and choral groups and I love opera.
Opera is like a movie or a play but the star is THE MUSIC which includes the orchestra and the singers, the instrumental parts, give us the idea of the feelings, the situation, the plot, and completes with the singers and sometimes choirs, there are parts por children also; and there are a lot of subjects for the plays: mithological, romance, comedy, tragedies and also contemporary like "Brockeback mountain" (yes, like the film).
The teathers in which the operas are presented are amazing like the Palace of the Fine Arts in Mexico City or the Sidney Opera House, and as a bucket list I want to go to every one and attend to an opera. But also, we can go to a cinema (cinepolis or cinemex) and watch live transmision from The Metropolitan Opera House or The Royal Opera House on saturdays at noon. 
So, I,m glad that you read all of this and hoping that you could give to Opera a chance...

1 comment:

  1. Hello.
    I read your post and I think that You are a lucky persone for have the father that You have.
    I think that Is beautiful your way for show your love for the art. O Like the people that feel a new emotion with new things or when people love the things that love.

    Maybe in a future You Will be a singer o opera director. I hope that You can do, love and enjoy the love de the art

    ReplyDelete