October 8, 2017

First workcamp



Experiences

One of my unforgettable experiences was my first workcamp which took place in Sainte-Thérèse a small city near of Montréal, Québec. Without any doubt, now, after fourteen years I can say that was a very enriching journey. Not only was it engaging, it was also amusing.

Was a restoration workcamp in a near public garden of Sainte-Thérèse, the twelve volunteers and two animators worked eight hours every day from Monday to Friday. We started early in the morning because the work was hard, we had to clear of brushwood, make sidewalks and cut trees so we had to advance before the sun was burning. We started at seven then we made a break at midday for lunch and came back to work until three p.m.  After the work we had free activities but also some days there was activities programmed at Montréal and we camped on weekends.




Some of my aims to be part in an international workcamp abroad was travel at a low cost, know the country in a different way that a tourist do and of course practice the English language. There were volunteers from France, German, Spain, Canada and Mexico so was an good opportunity to practice the language as well as my patience, my tolerance, and I learned to find a common benefit so I can say that was an experience that left me a personal growth.

Taking everything into account, if you really want to have an immersion course of language or culture I highly recommend participate in a international workcamp. 

2 comments:

  1. I want to do a international workcamp, if you have to make some advice, Wich could be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I like your history, it sounds great and the place looks beautiful. I agree with you, if you visit a country where they speak the language that you want to learn you could learn faster because you practice all the time.

    ReplyDelete